DataLossDB is a research project aimed at documenting known and reported data loss incidents world-wide. It has identified that in 2013 a total of 1,440 Data breaches exposed over 822 million records nearly doubling the previous record high. The causes of these losses were divided approximately 60% by external influence and 40% by internal influences.
Can you be sure that your data is secure?
In the 2013 Verizon Data Breach Investigations Report (DBIR) 47,000 attacks were investigated. The key findings of the report are…
Make sure you know what’s happening on your network. Implement a security analytics solution and threat prevention that meets your needs.
And ensure your credentials are actively managed.
- Eliminate unnecessary data; keep tabs on what’s left.
- Perform regular checks to ensure that essential controls are met.
- Collect, analyse and share incident data to create a rich information source that can drive security program effectiveness.
- Collect, analyse and share tactical threat intelligence, especially indicators of compromise (IOCs), that can greatly assist defence and detection.
- Without de-emphasizing prevention, focus on better and faster detection through a blend of people, processes, and technology.
- Regularly measure things like “number of compromised systems” and “mean time to detection”, and use these numbers to drive better practices.
- Evaluate the threat landscape to prioritize a treatment strategy. Don’t buy into a “one-size-fits-all” approach to security.
- Don’t underestimate the tenacity of your adversaries, especially espionage driven attackers, or the power of the intelligence and tools at your disposal.